Treat your Friends and Family with this delicious sandwich recipe this Ramadan.
Easy to make veg sandwich for iftar that’s high on nutrition value 🙂
VEG SANDWICH FOR IFTAR – INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves or ½ cup each of mint leaves and coriander leaves
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder or add as per taste
- 1 to 2 green chilies, i added 3 as we like spicy chutney for sandwiches
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons water for grinding, optional
For the Sandwiches:
- 8 to 10 slices brown or whole wheat, multi grain or white bread
- 1 medium size tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 medium size onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 boiled beetroot, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 or 2 boiled potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- Butter at room temperature, as you like your veg sandwich
- Chaat masala or sandwich masala to sprinkle on the veggies, as required
- Black salt or rock salt or regular salt to sprinkle on the veggies, as you prefer in your veg sandwich for iftar
Preparing the chutney:
- Blend all the ingredients mentioned under the list ‘for green chutney’ in a grinder or small blender. add very little water. the chutney has to be of thick or slightly thick consistency.
- Keep the chutney aside.
Preparing the sandwiches:
- Slice the bread corners if you want. apply butter on the bread slices
- Apply the green chutney on the buttered slices.
- Place the 2-3 slices of all the veggies alternately on four bread slices.
- Sprinkle chaat masala or sandwich masala and black salt on the veggies alternately.
- Cover these with the remaining bread slices. now toast the veg sandwiches in a toaster or grill.
- If using a hand toaster you will have to do it one sandwich at a time. keep the hand toaster on fire. toast one side. when it gets browned, toast the other side. you can easily open the toaster and check if the bread has browned or not.
- Remove when done and apply some butter on the top of the hot toast sandwich.
- Serve veg toast sandwich with tomato ketchup and some mint cilantro chutney.
1. Apply a little extra butter on the bread ensures that the sandwich does not get soggy with the chutney or the veggies.
2. The left over veggies can be used up in any dish or you can just sprinkle some chaat masala or black salt on them and have them directly, except the onions 🙂
3. Vegans can use vegan substitutes for butter.